Edwin L. Higgins Blacksmith Shop

Edwin L. Higgins' Blacksmith Shop was at 46 Clark Point Road. "He carried on his work there for many years. He sold it to be used as a livery stable and it was destroyed by fire. Then Mr. Higgins bought back the land and built a store there for his son, Fred J. Higgins. After he went out of business and moved away, the building was sold to (Ben) C. Worcestor who remodeled it somewhat and the upper part is now living apartments while the lower floor is used by the public schools at present as a place for the classes in Domestic Science." - Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, p. 159-60 - 1938.

The present building, although similar to the original blacksmith shop, was rebuilt.


Edwin L. Higgins at his Blacksmith Shop with Simeon Holden Mayo - Circa 1880


Edwin L. Higgins Blacksmith Shop Site – Clark Point Gallery – April 5, 2015