The Valentine Company, a lithographic printing firm, was founded in 1825 in Dundee, Scotland by John Valentine. A New York branch was opened in 1906 and later another office opened in Boston, Massachusetts. Valentines published view-cards depicting scenes throughout the country. While many of these cards were printed in the United States in their later years, they have the exact same distinct look of the tinted halftones that were printed in Great Britain. All cards are numbered and have a three digit prefix and a three digit suffix. In 1909 they merged with the Hugh C. Leighton Company of Portland, Maine to become Leighton and Valentine.